Friday, April 1, 2011

101 Gourmet Cupcakes Calendar: March


Hello everyone! Now, I understand that it has been some time since I have shared a new recipe with you, and I truly apologize for that! I was accepted into the Education Program last summer and have been doing my level 2 this semester. I have classes all day everyday. I am on campus for my classes on Monday and Friday, then I go to a first grade classroom Tuesday-Thursday from 8:00-4:00. After spending all day with 6-7 year olds, I head back to campus for class from 4:30-6:30 or 7. Anyways, between that, homework, and ambassador responsibilities, my life is pretty crazy. But, that is no excuse for failing to update my blog! I'm hoping after I tell you about this delicious cupcake, you will make it, taste it, and forgive me :)

This is the cupcake for the Month of March in my cupcake calendar. I understand that it is now April, but it is only the first day of April, so it doesn't matter! This yummy key lime pie cupcake was super fun to make! I have never been a huge fan of lime flavored goods other than Yoplait's wicked key lime pie yogurt, so I wasn't sure how I'd feel about this one. I'll admit, I did enjoy this cupcake very much! I actually put away two of these bad boys, don't judge. The sweetened condensed milk gave them an interesting texture that was more chewy instead of fluffy, but I think it really worked for these cupcakes. Anyways, try them! Let me know what you think. I topped them with fresh, whipped cream frosting, which I absolutely LOVE. That might have been what made them so yummy! What do you think? They also look really pretty too! I made these for Amy's baby shower. Fun treat!

Key Lime Pie Cupcakes
(101 Gourmet Cupcakes in 10 Minutes)

1 box white cake mix
3 eggs
1 cup half and half
6 Tbsp. key lime juice
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 recipe whipped cream frosting (see below)
4 tbsp. grated lime peel for garnish (it says to use about 3 limes, but I only used one)

Mix together cake mix, eggs, half and half, and 3 Tablespoons key lime juice. Pour 1-2 tablespoons batter into each paper liner. In a separate bowl, mix sweetened condensed milk and the rest of the lime juice. Evenly divide lime milk into batter-filled cups. Top with remaining batter until 3/4 full.

Bake at 350 degrees for 15-18 minutes or until cake springs back when touched lightly. Remove from oven and cool completely on a wire rack.

Frost with whipped cream frosting and garnish with grated lime peel.

Whipped Cream Frosting

2 cups heavy whipping cream
1/4-1/2 cup powdered sugar (depending on preference- I used 1/2 cup:))

Pour cream into large mixing bowl and start mixing at low speed. Gradually increase speed until cream thickens and soft peaks form.

Turn off mixer and add sugar. Start slowly again and beat until stiff peaks form.

The stiffer the cream, the easier it is to frost the cupcakes. Keep refrigerated.

1 comment: