Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Hot Fudge Cake: YUM!


I know it has been ages since I last updated my blog, so I apologize! The end of the semester can be so crazy, but I am finally done. Hallelujah. Anyways, the holidays are in full swing and Christmas is so close. I can't even wait! I especially love this time because of all of the baking :) It will be a miracle if I don't gain ten pounds over the break... ha ha seriously. I will just have to make one of my New Year's resolutions to lose my holiday weight! Oh New Year's Resolutions... does anybody actually stick to them?

Okay, okay, on to the good stuff- HOT FUDGE CAKE(I have also heard it called Hot Water Cake). I found this recipe on the Tasty Kitchen Blog. It came from a lady named Susan Hawkins and she calls it "My Granny's Chocolate Cobbler". Holy cow, Granny is my hero! This is some serious fudgy, chocolatey goodness going on right here. It definitely is best warm, but I like to let it sit for maybe a half an hour... it allows it to set up a little bit and cool down enough to not burn your mouth with the first bite. Now, let me explain this cake to you. The batter that you spread into the pan is thick, like brownie batter. You sprinkle a cocoa/brown sugar mixture over top of the thick batter, pour hot tap water all over it, and then stick it in the oven, without stirring it at all. Strange, eh? Oh but it works. Trust me. You end up with a delicious, chocolate cake later on top, and a straight, pure, magnificent, wonderful, divine fudge river running underneath it. Pure Heaven. Chocolate Lovers Unite! Serve it with a scoop of your favorite vanilla ice cream and you've got a dessert straight from Heaven.



Hot Fudge Cake

AKA:Granny's Chocolate Cobbler

1 Cup All-purpose Flour
2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
1/4 Teaspoons Salt
7 Tablespoons Cocoa Powder, Divided
1 1/4 Cup Sugar, Divided
1/2 Cup Milk
1/3 Cup Melted Butter
1 1/2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
1/2 Cups Light Brown Sugar, Packed
1 1/2 Cup Hot Tap Water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

First, stir together the flour, baking powder, salt, 3 Tablespoons of the cocoa, and 3/4 cup of the white sugar. Reserve the remaining cocoa and sugar.

Stir in the milk, melted butter, and vanilla to the flour mixture. Mix until smooth.

Pour the mixture into an ungreased 8-inch baking dish.

In a separate small bowl, mix the remaining white sugar (1/2 cup), the brown sugar, and remaining 4 Tablespoons of cocoa. Sprinkle this mixture evenly over the batter.

Pour the hot tap water over all. DO NOT STIR!

Bake for about 40 minutes or until center is set.

Let stand for a few minutes if you can hold yourself back. Serve with ice cream, using the gooey sauce to spoon over all.

Happy Holiday Baking!!

No comments:

Post a Comment