Monday, July 25, 2011

Oh Canada!



It turns out that Canada really knows what they are doing when it comes to treats. Have you ever had a Nanaimo Bar? (Pronunciation: Nuh-Nye-Mo) They are soo good! I have seen Nanaimo bars on several blogs, and I decided that they were something that I just had to make. They are a delicious no-bake treat, which is perfect for summer because turning your oven on isn't fun when it's so hot outside. I didn't even use my stove! I did it all in the microwave and it worked great. Give them a shot! You will be so glad that you did.

Nanaimo Bars

Recipe from "My Baking Addiction" Blog

Bottom Layer
½ cup unsalted butter
¼ cup sugar
5 tbsp. cocoa
1 egg beaten
1 ¼ cups graham cracker crumbs
½ c. finely chopped almonds (I omitted)
1 cup coconut

Melt first 3 ingredients in top of double boiler. Add egg and stir to cook and thicken. Remove from heat. Stir in crumbs, coconut, and nuts. Press firmly into an ungreased 8″ x 8″ pan.

Second Layer
½ cup unsalted butter
2 Tbsp. and 2 Tsp. cream
2 Tbsp. vanilla custard powder (I used Instant vanilla pudding powder)
2 cups icing sugar (confectioners’ sugar)

Cream butter, cream, custard powder(or pudding powder), and icing sugar together well. Beat until light. Spread over bottom layer.

Third Layer

4 squares semi-sweet chocolate (1 oz. each)
2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
Melt chocolate and butter over low heat. Cool. Once cool, but still liquid, pour over second layer and chill in refrigerator. Slice with a warm knife when ready to serve.


Enjoy!! I promise you will love Canada after trying one of these :)

No comments:

Post a Comment