Sunday, February 6, 2011

101 Gourmet Cupcakes Calendar: (January) Cookies and Cream Dream



So Amy gave me this really great calendar a couple of months ago which goes along with the cookbook 101 Gourmet Cupcakes in 10 minutes. Each month of the calendar has a new cupcake to make, so I decided that each month I was going to make the cupcake for the month. I know it is no longer January, but I accidentally left my camera at home last week when I headed back up to Logan, so I didn't have any pictures of these yummy cupcakes to post. So ignore the fact that it is February and that I am posting a January cupcake. :)

January's cupcake is Cookies and Cream Dream, and boy is it a dream. Made with a chocolate cake, an Oreo baked in the middle, and frosted with yummy, but oh-so-sweet buttercream frosting. I actually think that I'll try frosting them with a cream cheese frosting next time just because they were so sweet. I mean, sweet things don't bother me one bit, but I think that a nice cream cheese frosting would compliment these very nicely. Anyways, make them! They are so easy and so yummy!



Cookies and Cream Dream Cupcakes
(101 Gourmet Cupcakes in 10 Minutes)

1 box chocolate cake mix
1 cup sour cream
3 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
18-24 whole chocolate sandwich cookies, crumbles
1 recipe vanilla buttercream frosting

Mix together cake mix, sour cream, eggs, and vanilla. Place a spoonful of batter on the bottom of each paper liner. Place a whole cookie on the bottom lying flat. Cove with remaining batter until 3/4 full.

Bake at 350 degrees for 15-18 minutes. Allow cupcakes to cool completely.

Whip up a batch of buttercream(recipe below) or cream cheese frosting. Add crumbled cookies to frosting. Be generous and frost cupcakes nice and high.

Buttercream Frosting:

8 Tbsp. (1 Stick) butter, room temperature
3 3/4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
3-4 Tbsp. milk or cream
2 tsp. vanilla extract

Place butter in large mixing bowl. Beat until light and fluffy, about 30 seconds. Stop beating before adding sugar to avoid a large mess.

Add sugar, 3 tablespoons milk or cream, and vanilla extract. Beat frosting starting on slow, increasing your speed until frosting is nice and creamy. Add up to 1 more tablespoon milk or cream if frosting is too thick.

No comments:

Post a Comment